Thursday 14 June 2012

Scots Wha Hae...*

Last night, the first of the second week, I imbued Luka with a much stronger Scottish accent than is my wont. The accent wavered a couple of times, but on the whole it gave the character more depth and most of the other actors seemed to appreciate it. It also resolved the contradiction I had always felt when Luka says "I'm no philosopher, just an educated peasant" - a phrase that sounds false in the tones of Morningside and Fettes.

Meanwhile, the pain of seeing myself on film has gone away, soothed by those who tell me all the best actohs dislike seeing themselves on the screen. Balm was also applied by the two friends and Other Half who came to the performance last night, none of whom are known for their tact but who appeared to enjoy themselves. The OH was of course critical, but underlying his negative comments was the genuine belief that I am improving and should continue. My thespian friend reminded me that my voice sometimes falls quieter than it should.

(That problem has marred this production from the start - the voice levels are all over the place, with some of us shouting as if we were in the West End and others whispering as if we were on intimate camera; it is a pity that neither actors nor directors have paid attention to the overall sound of the piece. I try to boost my own volume, which is naturally low, but do not always remember or succeed.)

So, another night tonight and another opportunity to show myself and the world what I can do. But before then I have to start learning the script of Angel, the one-man show that I am putting on in July. No rest for the wicked or stupid...

* "Members of the Caledonian tribe who have ..." the country's unofficial national anthem, which is, predictably, about fighting the English.

No comments:

Post a Comment