Monday 9 January 2012

Classic Pantomime

To the Rosemary Branch Theatre last night for the last performance of the (adult version of the) pantomime Beowulf, presented by Charles Court Opera. The cast of seven, plus musical trio, gave a pitch perfect (in every sense) performance, complete with cross-dressing, farce, audience participation, dreadful puns, over-the-top costumes (in particular Grendel's constantly changing artificial arm), double entendres and puppets. The free glass of champagne, on top of whatever other alcohol had been drunk in the bar before the show opened, helped the hilarity but was not essential to the fun.

This was the second production I'd seen at this small theatre on the fringes of Islington (Hackney lurks on the other side of the road). The first was I am a Camera at some point last year. Both were excellent. On the other hand, I hadn't realised, until our neighbour in the Rosemary reminded me, that it was the second Charles Court Opera production I'd seen. About a year ago a group of us had seen a slimmed-down version of HMS Pinafore at the King's Head in the heart of Islington and had not been particularly impressed. This production more than made up for that disappointment.

Now it's time to switch off the computer to head into Essex for my meeting with the Creative Blast Agency - on a day when I have been turned down by another agency without a meeting. Am I optimistic? Not particularly. But at least I'll get to see some of Billericay...

1 comment:

  1. Such a fine review on the classic pantomime. Do share more of these since there will be a number of Christmas pantomimes nowadays.

    ReplyDelete