Wednesday 31 August 2011

Acting My Age

CCP approved my mugshot and my profile came up as #391422. Great, I thought, I only have to wait for 391,421 people to retire or die and I'll automatically get work. Instead of mass suicide, however, emails started dropping into my virtual box. It can't be this easy, I thought, clicking on the links for various parts that came into my age bracket. Sure, I'm not going to get considered, far less get the part, but there's no harm in applying. The worst that can happen to me is that I get ignored, and I can deal with that.

Actually, no. The worst thing that can happen is that CCP tells me I'm too old to apply for several of the parts. Unh? My playing age is 50 (well, I'd say 45 - 60, but CCP's technology is not that advanced; you can only put in one specific year), but when I click the Apply Now button, I get reminded of my real age, and my real age (50+, if you haven't worked it out) is over the limit of several parts I've applied for.

This smacks to me of a computer glitch. I've been informed about the part because my playing age fits the criterion, but I've been denied applying for the part because my actual age (which CCP swears blind they will never reveal to anybody, not even Steven Spielberg or the Pope) is Over The Limit. Not sure whether the glitch is my end or theirs, I start corresponding with Ms B at CCP support. Ms B is helpful, although doesn't understand the problem at first, and then she tells me I'm only getting turned away by paid-for roles because - at that stage - I'm not a paid up member. That isn't the case (I was getting rejected by unpaid work) but by the time we're on our fourth exchange of emails, the glitch suddenly fades into the ether and I'm open for business.

Which has allowed me to apply for my first job - for a commercial, with a four-figure payment if I actually appear onscreen. I know I'm not going to get it. Someone, somewhere has splurted out their coffee on looking at the mismatch between my requirements and their needs. But it feels good. My toe is in the water and I'm not yet shivering with cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment