Thursday 8 September 2011

Site unseen

I have officially launched my acting website. The one dedicated to me, Me, ME! So far this month, I have registered 41 visits. (I know some people measure their site's popularity in hits or files, but visits provides the closest determinant of individual viewers.) About 12 or 14 of these visits were probably me checking on the site during fine-tuning. Which means that a grand total of 20 to 25 other people have seen www.martinforeman.me.uk in the last eight days. And since I've told very few people about the site, perhaps 10 to 20 of these are complete strangers who have stumbled over me in the virtual jungle that we know as the internet.

How many job offers have resulted from these random visits? Of course none. I'm aware that vanity sites like mine generate very little traffic. I'm unknown, I'm not doing anything unusual, and in the interests of Artistic Purity, I'm not featuring the bells and whistles of colourful advertisements and links that help to push you up the Google rankings. (Unlike this site, where a glance to the column on the right shows you a soulless mix of Google and Amazon that so far has failed to tempted anyone to click on a link and thus earn me two or twenty pence.)

But at this stage in my career that doesn't matter. Maintaining my own website is a hobby, not work. Alternately, it's a seed sown in the desert that may sprout one future day. Have a look, if you have time and can summon up thirty seconds' worth of interest, and, if you really do have nothing else to do, send me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment