Thursday 28 July 2011

To Be Or Not To Be Nice

We're in the pub at the end of the day and talk drifts round to the Prince of Darkness, the school principal, who watched and commented on our singing performances earlier in the day. Two or three of the group are highly critical of the way in which he picks on individuals, making disparaging comments. My sense is that this is his style of working, he is not consciously victimising anyone, and isn't this the stereotype of the director - a vicious, heartless bastard? (How would I know? I could count the number of directors I've worked with on the fingers of one foot...)

It appears I'm wrong. The consensus is that directors can and should always be critical in a sympathetic and supportive way. Of course I agree with that principle, but as an older, short-tempered, critical individual myself, I have a sneaking sympathy for those who say what they think and don't give a damn about people's opinions of them. To the surprise of Myfanwy, our Welsh songbird, I'd even be happy to have a drink in the pub with him.

That doesn't blind me to his faults. Even if the PoD turned into a cuddly bear, the course he runs is a mess which may give students a watered-down taste of full-term acting school, but which gives them almost no support in identifying strengths which can be built on, and weaknesses which can be corrected.

Looking forward . . . Today is the last rehearsal for tomorrow's performance. Some of us feel we've had too much of Tracy's time and others feel we've had too little. I'll be surprised if she manages to pull it all together into one coherent performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment